Re: Removal of IETF patent disclosures?

2008-08-14 15:13:06
On 2008-08-15 01:48, SM wrote:
At 03:59 14-08-2008, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
One solution would be to require a TDMA like confirmation of the
existence of posters (do they
exist, and are they with the company they claim to be speaking for)
_before_ the posting is accepted.

The submission form could send out an email to the two email addresses
and accept the submission if a confirmation is received from them.  That
may reduce "spam" and some duplicate submissions.

- a requirement that a company confirm the validity of a disclosure
before it is posted publicly.

IPR disclosures are submitted by participants and contributors.  Does a
company fall within these two categories?

Exactly. We've always allowed contributors to be represented by their
employers in IPR disclosures, but the onus is on the contributor. In any
case, *any* form of vetting of the sender of a disclosure seems to me
to be much further down the slippery slope of making a judgment than
either duplicate-detection or drivel-filtering. I really do not think
we should go there. If unauthorised license promises are made, we want
to be well out of the legal firing line.