Re: Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents

2008-09-11 02:59:34
Hi,

On 2008-09-09 01:28 Ray Pelletier said the following:
All

  The redline of the Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents dated
9-8-08 has been uploaded to http://trustee.ietf.org/policyandprocedures.html
  in doc, pdf and rtf formats.

To see what changes would be needed in 'idnits', I've looked over the
instructions for text to be included in IETF documents (Section 6 of the
document referred to above).

I see that Section 6.a. specifies the following text:

        This Internet-Draft is submitted to IETF pursuant to, and in full
        conformance with, the provisions of [BCP 78 and 79].

and also Section 6.b. specifies this text:

        Copyright [year] IETF Trust and the persons identified as its authors.
        All rights reserved.

        This document is subject to BCP [78] and [the IETF Trust’s Legal
Provisions
        Relating to IETF Documents in effect on the date of publication of this
        document]. Please review these documents carefully, as they describe
your
        rights and restrictions with respect to this document.

So here are my questions:

It is clear to me that in the text above, the notation "[year]" is not meant
to be literal, but should be replaced with the current year.

However, what is the meaning of "[BCP 78 and 79]"?  If it is meant to be
included
verbatim, it could be meant to indicate that there should be a reference in the
reference section called "BCP 78 and 79", or maybe two references called "BCP
78"
and "BCP 79"?

But then we come to the second paragraph of the 6.b. text, which has the
text "BCP [78]" -- is this now meant to refer to a reference called "78"?

Finally, there's the "[the IETF Trust’s Legal Provisions Relating to IETF
Documents in effect on the date of publication of this  document]" -- is that
meant to be replaced by a reference to the actual document in effect at
that day, or is it meant to be inserted verbatim in the documents?

I'm afraid that it isn't at all clear to me exactly what the boilerplate as
specified by this revision of the Legal Provisions document should look like.

I'd suggest the following:

 * Say explicitly that the notation [year] should be replaced by the year the
   document is submitted or published, and likewise for any other text that
   should be replaced.

 * Remove any other "[" and "]" characters from text that must be included
   verbatim.

 * If it is required that references to BCP 78 and BCP 79 be included in the
   document's reference section, say so explicitly.

 * Indicate whether it is permissible to add reference annotation, in the
   style otherwise used for references in the document, to the boilerplate,
   or whether that should not be done. (Don't force the document author to
   use a particular style of reference annotation, such as "[BCP 78]" if the
   rest of the document uses "[1]", "[2]", etc. ).

Regards,

        Henrik