Re: Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents

2008-09-14 23:45:12
Why cant a code object or any embedded licensable IP object be included
under a 'instantaneous' copyright which is noted at the close of the <CODE>
block. Why cant we build a code model where the code itself includes a
separate (c) if its warranted? - this totally allows the inclusion of
copyrighted IP into IETF processes without messing up too much...

Todd Glassey

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Hoffman" <paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org>
To: "Simon Josefsson" <simon(_at_)josefsson(_dot_)org>; "Ray Pelletier"
<rpelletier(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org>
Cc: "IAOC" <iaoc(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; "IETF Discussion"
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>;
<ipr-wg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: Legal Provisions Relating to IETF Documents

At 9:58 AM +0200 9/9/08, Simon Josefsson wrote:
I suggest to remove the newly added text, making section 4.c read:

        c.  License. Code Components are hereby licensed to each person
        who wishes to receive such a license on the terms of the "BSD
        License", as follows:

Without this change, I believe it is not sufficiently clear that code
components are _only_ licensed under the BSD license.

Fully agree.

Thus, I suggest to change the above sentence to:

        b.  Identification. Text in IETF Contributions and IETF
        Documents of the types identified in Section 4.a above shall
        constitute "Code Components". In addition, any text found
        between the markers <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE ENDS> shall be
        considered a "Code Component".  Alternatively, text in the
        document that refer to this rule can be added to denote which
        portions are intended to be regarded as Code Components.

You could also revert to the earlier text used in the 08-05-08 and
08-13-08 version:

        b.  Identification. For ease of reference, Code Components in
        IETF RFCs MUST be clearly identified as code, and one technique
        for clearly identifying it is <CODE BEGINS> <CODE ENDS>.

Either sounds good, and the latter is more in line with IETF history.

One final comment:

#3:

For good style, attribute the origin of the BSD license text used.  If
the IETF requests of others to attribute origins of work, setting a good
example helps.  According to Jorge in
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.ipr/5379> the source is:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

Eating our own dogfood: good.