Re: On being public (Was: Call for Nominees)

2008-09-15 12:43:24
Dear Dave;

On Sep 15, 2008, at 12:29 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

Leslie Daigle wrote:
   We need
to have some cultural sophistication if we're going to ask Sue to run
against incumbent Bob openly, given that Sue's WG has documents
waiting
for Bob's approval.

I hope that this observation scares folk as much as it should.  The
implication
that an incumbent AD is to be feared implies that ADs have far too
much power.

My experience of the world is that some people will fear other people
(and, more particularly, will
fear some particular other people). Some people are shy. Some are
mistrustful. Some are insecure.
Some, I dare say it, may even have bad blood with some other IETFers.
This is true in general, and
it only gets worse if there is a feeling that the other person has
responsibility over your work.
(Note that B may be S's former boss, or a potential boss if a merger
happens, or S may be
seeking employment at B's institution, etc.)

S may fear these things even if B isn't an AD (or, indeed, even if S
is one), and so I don't see that
it bears on the question of AD power.

Regards
Marshall

Secondly, it's not really useful (to the whole system) if only some
candidates declare themselves publicly.

That's just plain wrong.

If a candidate wishes to encourage openness and encourage a broader
base of
input to Nomcom, they can and should disclose their candidacy.
Nomcom will
benefit from having better information, for the candidates who
choose to
publicly disclose their candidacy, because more people will know
that comments
on a particular candidate are needed.

No candidate need wait for other candidates to agree to this.

Contrary to your view, it is a very simple decision.

More importantly, it is exactly the sort of decision that can and
should be
individual and has no need to wait for some magic group decision or
formal IETF
policy -- a decision that we've solidly demonstrated will not get
made.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker