Re: On being public (Was: Call for Nominees)

2008-09-15 13:10:31
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 09:29:53AM -0700, Dave CROCKER wrote:

If a candidate wishes to encourage openness and encourage a broader
base of input to Nomcom, they can and should disclose their
candidacy.  Nomcom will benefit from having better information, for
the candidates who choose to publicly disclose their candidacy,
because more people will know that comments on a particular
candidate are needed.

I had exactly the opposite reaction to Leslie Daigle's remark.  If
people start declaring, then I expect that over time, people who
declare will be more likely to be selected than people who don't.
This is because the Nomcom will get more feedback about the
"declareds" than about the "undeclareds".  I imagine that Nomcom
members will naturally tend to prefer those candidates about whom they
have the most information.

So the practice of declaring by even a significant minority will
naturally tend to mean that all aspirants have to declare, or give up
their aspirations.

I don't know whether this would be a good or bad thing, but I don't
think we should dismiss the observation that changing the rules, even
informally, changes the rules for everyone.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)commandprompt(_dot_)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/