Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists)

2008-11-10 13:14:12
der Mouse wrote:
[Keith Moore]
The fact that [DNSBLs] are widely used is sad, not a justification
for standardization.

True.  The justification is not simply that they are widely used; it is
that they are widely used, they are often done wrong, they are of
tremendous value when done right, and of actively negative value when
done wrong.

I agree that this might be a justification for standardizing some sort
of reputation protocol.  But it's not at all clear the document at hand
describes a protocol which is technically sound, and it certainly
doesn't have rough IETF consensus.  I'm willing to defer judgment about
whether such a protocol might reasonably resemble DNSxL, or whether it
can reasonably use DNS at all - but I have reason to doubt it.

Keith