Re: IPv6 traffic stats

2008-11-11 15:38:39
David Kessens wrote:
Joe,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 08:20:11AM -0800, Joe St Sauver wrote:
I'm not aware of DNS block lists which cover IPv6 address spaces at
this time, probably in part because IPv6 traffic remains de minimis (see http://asert.arbornetworks.com/2008/8/the-end-is-near-but-is-ipv6/
showing IPv6 traffic as constituting only 0.002% of all Internet traffic).

For the record:
It seems that arbornetworks estimates are extremely low to the point
where one has to ask whether there were other issues that caused such
a low estimate.

There is no question that IPv6 traffic is quite low in the Internet.
However, many other reports that I have seen recently measure multiple
orders of magnitude more IPv6 traffic (for an easily accesible example
see: http://www.ams-ix.net/technical/stats/sflow/)
Google's measurements indicate that when faced with a dual-stack host (one with both an AAAA and an A record in the DNS), 0.5% of all hosts will access that host using IPv6.

(As presented at the RIPE meeting in Dubai last month.)

                   Harald