Re: IPv6 traffic stats

2008-11-12 15:23:01
On 12 nov 2008, at 21:09, Pekka Savola wrote:

If an implementation implements RFC3484 and the user is not using custom address selection policy, all compliant RFC3484 implementations should prefer v4 when connecting to native from 6to4 (rule 5 of destination address selection AFAIR).

In my opinion, this is a bug. This is the default policy table from a FreeBSD system, which is the RFC 3484 table IIRC:

> ip6addrctl
Prefix                          Prec Label      Use
::1/128                           50     0        0
::/0                              40     1   646064
2002::/16                         30     2        0
::/96                             20     3        0
::ffff:0.0.0.0/96                 10     4        0

The last line catches IPv4. It's two steps below the 6to4 prefix. However, the fact that the label for the 6to4 prefix doesn't match the ::/0 label means that IPv4 will be used.

This happens on FreeBSD and XP, and I assume also on Vista. But not on MacOS, because it doesn't implement the policy table. I don't know about Linux. (If you want to test, try to connect to 6to4test.runningipv6.net and see what happens. Both addresses are unreachable, though.)