Re: IPv6 traffic stats (was: Re: Last Call: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl (DNS Blacklists and Whitelists))

2008-11-12 15:15:49

On Nov 11, 2008, at 11:57 AM, David Kessens wrote:

Joe,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 08:20:11AM -0800, Joe St Sauver wrote:

I'm not aware of DNS block lists which cover IPv6 address spaces at
this time, probably in part because IPv6 traffic remains de minimis
(see http://asert.arbornetworks.com/2008/8/the-end-is-near-but-is-ipv6/
showing IPv6 traffic as constituting only 0.002% of all Internet traffic).

For the record:

It seems that arbornetworks estimates are extremely low to the point
where one has to ask whether there were other issues that caused such
a low estimate.

No, the methodology is outlined in the referenced report.
Given what we were measures and what data was supplied, those
were the results.

There is no question that IPv6 traffic is quite low in the Internet.
However, many other reports that I have seen recently measure multiple
orders of magnitude more IPv6 traffic (for an easily accesible example
see: http://www.ams-ix.net/technical/stats/sflow/)

Indeed, and multiple orders (less than two) of magnitude is still,
from this, only .1% on average.  I believe the point remains very
much the same.

-danny