Re: IPv6 traffic stats

2008-11-12 15:09:53
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
 On Tue, 11 Nov 2008, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> The correct number from the presentation is 0.238% - only Russia, > Ukraine and France have more than 0.5% IPv6. > > Presentation available from > http://rosie.ripe.net/presentations-detail/Thursday/Plenary%2014:00/index.html. >
 Depends on what you're looking for, but if you are interested in the
 amount of users that have any kind of IPv6 connectivity, this undercounts
 severely because address selection rules on recent OSs typically select
 IPv4 if their connectivity is 6to4 or Teredo.

can you identify the OSes that prefer IPv4 when on 6to4, and pointers to docs?

If an implementation implements RFC3484 and the user is not using custom address selection policy, all compliant RFC3484 implementations should prefer v4 when connecting to native from 6to4 (rule 5 of destination address selection AFAIR).

FWIW, in Linux this was changed as the default maybe about 2-3 years ago. I suppose may other operating systems, especially recent ones, also operate in this manner. For Linux, some info is here: http://people.redhat.com/drepper/linux-rfc3484.html

This has been discussed on v6ops and ipv6 lists but unfortunately I can't find the threads despite search attempts.

Maybe someone else with better memory could provide better references.

This is why observing ipv6 traffic on a dual-stack hostname will mostly just in observing those that use native v6 (with Mikael, this was 0.5% of users). If you're interested in wider picture of IPv6 penetration, you'll put the content on v6-only hostname (with Mikael, this was reachable by 6% of users). If you want to also cover for Vista users with Teredo, you'd put the content on a site and refer to it using a numeric address instead of a hostname (this would result in even a higher percentage).

So, if you're interested in any kind of IPv6 connectivity at all (even 6to4, teredo, ...), at least in some user communities (p2p users), I'm pretty sure IPv6 penetration is already over 10%. At least 6% is already proven by measurements :-)