RE: Punycode at ASCII for IDN & MDN via Y2K Project Management

2008-11-11 04:10:09

From: linuxa linux <linuxalinux(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
Subject: RE: Punycode at ASCII for IDN & MDN via Y2K Project Management
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org, unicode(_at_)unicode(_dot_)org
Cc: "Ruszlan Gaszanov" <ruszlan(_at_)ather(_dot_)net>
Date: Monday, 10 November, 2008, 11:15 PM

From: Ruszlan Gaszanov <ruszlan(_at_)ather(_dot_)net>
Subject: RE: Punycode at ASCII for IDN & MDN via
Y2K Project Management
To: linuxalinux(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk, ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Date: Sunday, 9 November, 2008, 10:21 PM

......ASCII domain names *are* in fact
punycode domain names
by definition.

That's the problem and the reason for Punycode2
allowing ASCII registrations to be Punycoded via Punicode2.

As soon as you want to encode ASCII characters with
something else, you'll
need a new parallel DNS infrastructure and at this
point a
new version of
DNS protocol that works.......

You got this wrong because when you Punycode via Punycode2
ASCII registrations you will have ASCII letters however they
will be in machine  code, same as IDN thus equal virtue and
for ASCII registrations to be viewed they will be viewed
similarly as IDN (Internationalized Domain Names /
Internationalised Domain Names) and here also equal virtue.

.......But the bottom line is that there is no
way to develop a
"new punycode" encoding ASCII domain names
with
something else then ASCII
and implement that on existing DNS infrastructure
without
completely
breaking the Internet, period.

Again you are putting something which I have not said for
Punycode2.  While you wait for learning curve developments,
I suggest you use ASCII based letters for Punycode 2 however
you machine code the ASCII registrations like you are doing
with IDN.

I am not a technical expert, however based on what I have
gleaned can I suggest the 2 IDN algorithms: ToASCII and
ToUnicode perhaps would need tweaks hence ToASCII2 and
ToUnicode2 with perhaps ASCII registrations needing also an
ACE sort prefix, say yn-- similar to xn-- that are put for
IDN.  This development could then allow MDN (Multilingual
Domain Names) that would help the users that are
multilingual / would like multilingual text at domain name
platform.

I hope this signals to you the urgency that is required for
implementing.

Regards

Meeku