Re: several messages

2008-11-12 14:43:52
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Randy Presuhn wrote:

They have the option of voting with their feet if their ISP chooses a
DNSbl that negatively impacts them.

Huh?  Concrete, real example:  I send a message to an IETF mailing list.
A list subscriber's ISP rejects the forwarded message.  IETF's mailman
drops the subscriber, because this has been happened multiple times.
I can't notify the subscriber, because their ISP also rejects my email.

If they don't notice the dropped subscription, I'd say they're not negatively impacted.

My ISP is irrelevant to the scenario, and the (now former) list subscriber
doesn't even know this has happened, or why.

And, if they contact IETF to find out why the subscription was dropped, IETF should have a mechanism (such as an email address external to their blocked IP) by which they can communicate with such people and remediate the issue.

Another real, concrete example: some (but not all) messages sent via my
employer were tossed because one of my employer's mail servers was
listed on a blacklist.  As an employee, I had no alternatives for sending
mail - company policy precluded the use of "webmail" alternatives via
company infrastructure.

You're not the end recipient. I assume you have out-of-band methods of contacting customers that were blocking you (such as, say, a phone number). Yep, more work for you as a sender; still not impacting on the end recipient.

-- D