Re: several messages

2008-11-12 23:26:07
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:08 PM, David Morris <dwm(_at_)xpasc(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, David Romerstein wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Randy Presuhn wrote:

Agreed, but if those analogies are correct, they also undermine the
argument.
Neither the email sender nor the recipient (the ones to whom email is most
important) typically have any voice whatsoever in the selection of the
DNSBL.

End recipients *absolutely* have a voice in the DNSbl selection process.
They have the option of voting with their feet if their ISP chooses a
DNSbl that negatively impacts them.

That assertion reflects a lack of thought about the process. The user with
the ISP using the poorly administered DNSBL is the target of my email and
may not know about the missing mail or may be an organization who doesn't
care.

No, but working for an ESP myself, I can tell you that the end users
often do complain about non-receipt of email, and I am sure I am not
the only person who has nudged a user to switch ISPs (or webmails)
because of a poor choice of spam filtering and deafness of their
previous ISP. It does happen.

It's true that Joe User doesn't know about the DNSBL's involvement,
and may not even know what a DNSBL is. But, being the guy at this ESP
who works with ISPs and blacklists, and there have to be a lot more
people like me out there. Both fixing things to prevent or address
listings from DNSBLs that can be worked with, and by helping ISPs to
understand when a stupid blacklist should be called a stupid blacklist
and ignored.

(Just for the record, the only instances in which my point of view
actually aligns with Dean Anderson's point of view are purely
coincidental. Call it the stopped clock principle.)

In the end, walking isn't a viable alternative.

Because it's so hard to open a Gmail account? I think your thinking
here is about two generations out of date. Back in 1995 when we each
had our one dialup account, and webmail was much less common and
acceptable, your point would have been more valid.

Regards,
Al Iverson

--
Al Iverson on Spam and Deliverability, see http://www.spamresource.com