Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary

2008-12-12 14:54:39
Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com> writes:

At 01:28 PM 12/12/2008, Simon Josefsson wrote:

As far as I understand, I can no longer take RFC 4398, fix some
minor problem, and re-submit it as a RFC 4398bis.  Even though I was
editor of RFC 4398.  The reason is that some material in that document
was written by others.  At least, I cannot do this, without getting
permission from the other people who wrote the initial document.  I wish
this is mistaken and that someone can explain how to reconcile this
example with what Russ wrote.

Correct.  RFC 5378 imposes this burden on the contributor.  All of the
rights needed to make updates to the document within the IETF
Standards Process are clearly already available, but the contributor
is required to obtain the additional rights that are required by RFC
5378.

Interesting.  Thanks for confirming the interpretation.

/Simon