Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary

2008-12-13 10:56:40
At Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:49:09 +1300,
Brian E Carpenter wrote:
At Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:49:09 +1300,
Brian E Carpenter wrote:

On 2008-12-13 08:20, Russ Housley wrote:
At 01:28 PM 12/12/2008, Simon Josefsson wrote:

As far as I understand, I can no longer take RFC 4398, fix some
minor problem, and re-submit it as a RFC 4398bis.  Even though I was
editor of RFC 4398.  The reason is that some material in that document
was written by others.  At least, I cannot do this, without getting
permission from the other people who wrote the initial document.  I wish
this is mistaken and that someone can explain how to reconcile this
example with what Russ wrote.

Correct.  RFC 5378 imposes this burden on the contributor.  All of the
rights needed to make updates to the document within the IETF Standards
Process are clearly already available, but the contributor is required
to obtain the additional rights that are required by RFC 5378.

Formally yes. But the Trust can take the sting out of this by
a vigorous effort to get former contributors to sign over the
necessary rights, and by providing a convenient method for
this to be done.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how this helps, because
we have no tracking of all the contributors to those previous
documents. So, how can the contributor know that all forme
contributors have executed those additional rights grants?

-Ekr