Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary

2008-12-17 13:32:13

John C Klensin wrote:
I agree that there were perceived problems that needed to be
fixed.  I think you have given a good summary of most of them.
It is exactly for that reason that I did not propose rolling
back 5378 (or 5377).

Unfortunately, we do not get to pick and choose the parts of a problematic standard that we like. The thing is in force. We have a crisis because of it. While we had some problems before it went into force, we did not have any crises.

By pursuing a path of "use whichever you want" we wind up adding more ambiguity and, therefore, fuzziness, to an already seriously broken situation.

Folks,

We are stuck in the midst of a classic decision-making error, revolving around sunk costs <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost> which leads to persistent efforts to fix the unfixable.

Gosh, only a little more effort or a small band-aid here or there, will take away the immediate problem.

In reality, tenacity due to a desire to save the invested effort is that it virtually never results in a real fix.

We need to reverse the current spec, go back to the one that worked fine (for the cases it covered) and re-think how to handle the new stuff.

To repeat: The idea that anyone would think it viable to have a potentially small -bis effort need to rewrite potentially large portions of the original text demonstrates just how stuck in the mire we are, with no clue how to get out.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking