Re: IPR Questions Raised by Sam Hartman at the IETF 73 Plenary

2008-12-18 17:29:16
"Keith" ==   <moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> writes:

    Keith> tell you what - if by some very small chance (probably less
    Keith> than 1%) I'm still around 50 years from now and feel like
    Keith> revising RFC 793 at that time, I'll trust that you've
    Keith> already reconnected with Jon and gotten his permission :)
    Keith> either that, or I'll already be dead, and I'll ask him
    Keith> myself.

I tell you what.  I'll trust that Jon or his estate is not going to
sue us if we use his work in the IETF context to make new internet
standards.

Remember, we're discussing legalities here and for the most part US
civil law.  There are some things you decide are acceptable risks
simply because the chance someone with standing to do so will take
action against you are small enough that you stop caring.  It's not an
perfect world from an engineering standpoint, but guess what?  There
is not perfect compliance with our specs either.

So, honestly, Jon's text is just not something I'm worried about even today.