Re: RFC 5378 "contributions"

2009-01-21 12:11:44
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 04:19:08PM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:

However, the theme were present in several discussions about simplifying
the procedures.  One link (but probably not the best one) would be:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.ietf.ipr/3738

Implicit in that argument is that contributors release their own
contribution under a license, and do not vouch for anyone else's
contribution, and that others can re-use the material under that
license.  This is the normal procedure in the free software community.

Um, I just looked at that thread, and it was talking more about
whether or not SDO's should be allowed to "fork" an RFC specification
without getting prior permission from the IETF or not, and worries
about "fake" RFC's.  That has nothing to do with shoving all of the
liabilities associating with assuring that all contributions following
the IPR responsibilities onto the I-D author/editors.

Maybe you thought it was implicit in the argument, but it certainly
wasn't obvious to me.  So if your goal was to advance that point of
view, it probably wasn't the best strategy as an advocate.

Regards,

                                                - Ted