Re: RFC 5378 "contributions"

2009-01-23 15:13:30
Contreras, Jorge wrote:

No, absolutely not. Use of pre-5378 materials in the IETF standards process has never been an issue, only use outside the IETF is problematic (ie, allowed under 5378 but not the earlier rules).

Jorge - if the contributor's in a RC2026 controlled submission choose NOT to allow the new licensing models, then you are saying that the IETF's new rules apply?

If not specifically - which rules would apply. The point is that contracts require that the people being bound by them fully understand the terms and conditions, and if they don't then their gifts are faulty at best.

Is this or is it not true - and if not why Counsel

Todd Glassey

----- Original Message -----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org <ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
To: IETF Discussion <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wed Jan 14 19:32:27 2009
Subject: RFC 5378 "contributions"

Hi -

I originally asked this question on the WG chairs' list, and
was asked to ask again here...

The discussion about RFC 5378 (what little I've been able to
understand of it, anyway) has focussed on I-Ds and RFCs.
However, the definition of "contribution" in that document
includes, among other things, mailing list discussions.

Does this mean that we need to get contributor permission
before using, for example, material from a pre-5378 RFC in
a mailing list discussion, or before including text from a
pre-5378 email posting in an internet draft?

This seems really silly, but that's what the discussion is
starting to sound like to me.

Randy