RE: ANNOUNCEMENT: The IETF Trustees invite your comments onrevised proposed legend text to work-around the Pre-5378 Problem

2009-01-24 10:07:43
John C. Klensin writes ...

And, while IANAL, my understanding from what we've been told
repeatedly is that "fair use exemption" is a US concept, so your
sentence should stop after "significant re-use of material"

So authors of scholarly papers in other countries can't lawfully quote and
cite other such works?  I am continually surprised by new knowledge -- that
makes life interesting -- but I find this bit particularly surprising, not
to say incredible.

If "fair use" does not apply, then does "significant" need to be come "any"?
One of the elements of fair use is the volume of quoted material -- so what
now defines "significant"?