RE: [Trustees] Last Call for Comments: Proposed work-around to thePre-5378 Problem

2009-02-09 12:30:33
Ok, I think (hope) I understand the intention now.  How about the
following as a friendly clarifying amendment to the proposed text:

Proposed Yesterday:

c. Derivative Works and Publication Limitations.
If a Contributor desires to limit its publication, or the
Contribution includes pre-5378 Material that may limit the right
to make modifications and derivative works of an IETF
Contribution, one of the following notices must be included.
The notices set forth in clauses (i) and (ii) below may not be
used with any standards-track document, nor with most working
group documents.

The "Proposed Yesterday" text blurs the distinction between c.i/ii
and c.iii.  I think that this could be done more clearly, as suggested
in NEW PROPOSED below.  In the first sentence of c, the old concept of
clauses
i and ii is preserved.  The new concept in iii is treated in the next
sentence.

NEW PROPOSED

c. Derivative Works and Publication Limitations.  If a Contributor
desires to limit the right to make modifications and derivative works
of, or to publish, an IETF Contribution that is not a standards-track
document or, in most cases, a working group document, then one of the
notices in clause (i) or (ii) below must be included.  If an IETF
Contribution contains pre-5378 Material as to which the IETF Trust has
not been granted, or may not have been granted, the necessary
permissions to allow modification of such pre-5378 Material outside the
IETF Standards Process, then the notice in clause (iii) may be included
by the Contributor of such IETF Contribution to limit the right to make
modifications to such pre-5378 Material outside the IETF Standards
Process.

NEW PROPOSED c.iii. introduction (Notice stays the same)

For consistency and clarity the introduction to c.iii is made to conform
with 6.c as follows

iii. If an IETF Contribution contains pre-5378 Material as to which the