Re: [Trustees] Last Call for Comments: Proposed work-around to thePre-5378 Problem

2009-02-08 20:33:51
One more clarification ...
On Feb 8, 2009, at 5:24 PM, Contreras, Jorge wrote:

Sorry for jumping into this thread late, but I would recommend leaving
6.c and 6.c.iii as proposed in the TLP draft that was circulated.

<snip>

6.c

OLD

c. Derivative Works and Publication Limitations.  If a Contributor
desires to limit the right to make modifications and derivative
works of an IETF Contribution, or to limit its publication, one of
the following notices must be included.

PROPOSED
        c. Derivative Works and Publication Limitations.  If a
        Contributor desires to limit its publication, or the
        Contribution includes pre-5378 Material that limits the right
        to make modifications and derivative works of an IETF
        Contribution, one of the following notices must be included.
        The notices set forth in clauses (i) and (ii) below may not be
        used with any standards-track document, nor with most working
        group documents.

The 'or' clause requires a certainty that the Legend at 6.c.iii does not require.
I think it should read:

or the Contribution includes pre-5378 Material that limits
s/limits/ may limit
the right to make modifications and derivative works of an IETF
Contribution, one of the following notices must be included.

Ray

Same issue (other than the problem that there is no antecedent to the
pronoun "its" in line 2).  Using "that limits" in line 3 implies that
the new Contributor must make a legal determination about the rights in
pre-5378 Material, which I do not think is the desired approach.