Re: TLS WG Chair Comments on draft-ietf-tls-authz-07

2009-02-11 15:51:57
Eric & Joe,

In retrospect, I certainly should have consulted with the TLS WG before
initiating yet another Last Call. I failed to do so because the controversy
had not centered on technical questions, but a great deal of time has
passed, and the mechanism is clearly relevant to the scope of your
working group.  I appreciate the course correction, as I did not intend
to perform an end around.

I will rectify the situation this week and request that the TLS WG review
the document to gauge interest in this area.  I would be delighted to
learn that the TLS WG is now interested in pursuing work in the
authorization space.  I have always thought that would be the best
course of action.  An important metric for working group interest
would be availability of an editor, since the lead editor for authz does
not have the necessary cycles available for active editorship.

In this case, I would ask the WG chairs to support approval of
draft-housley-tls-authz as experimental, with a hold in the RFC queue
until the the WG document  is ready for publication.  When completed,
the WG document would include an appendix that moves
draft-housley-tls-authz to historic. In this way, draft-housley-tls- authz
would not appear as an RFC until the standards track document is
also an RFC, and would always be designated historic.  (This is
consistent with the recent handling of personal drafts in several other
working groups.)

If the working group decides not to pursue this work, I will *not* ask the
IESG to approve for standards track.  After two years as AD, I have my
own reservations about advancing individual submissions as standards
track. (It has been problematic almost every time!) I am not ready to set
a hard and fast rule, but opposition from the relevant wg chairs would
seem to be an important indicator. :) I will consider requesting approval
as Experimental, *contingent on the consensus call* of course.

I am unsure what course is best if the working group decides to pursue
authorization work but the authors decline to submit the document to the
working group a second time.  Hopefully, that set of conditions will not
come to pass.

Again, my apologies for the process failure (at least in spirit). Thanks for
responding, and I look forward to hearing the results of the TLS WG
discussions.

Thanks,

Tim Polk