RE: Proposal to create IETF IPR Advisory Board

2009-02-17 22:25:49
Ted Ts'o wrote:
So you've done the equivalent of submit Windows source code and assume
that it can be ported to a Unix system "left as an exercise to the
reader"....  care to give a detailed suggestion about *how* it could
be revised to work with the IETF's more open procedures, and still be
useful in terms of meeting your stated goals?

I've made no such assumptions. I've submitted a couple of process documents
from W3C that can be modified easily to fit the IETF model. I thought John
and Steven would be satisfied with a rough draft. Sort of like Windows might
provide a model for a Linux open source program, without the actual code
being yet written. :-)

Now that I've submitted this draft, I refuse to be told it isn't a draft,
although I admit it isn't in the proper format. Any process bigots want to
comment on that flaw tonight too?

I specifically said that the W3C Patent and Standards Working Group (PSIG)
charter (http://www.w3.org/2004/pp/psig/) and *section 7* of the W3C Patent
Policy (http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/) would be
models for an IETF IPR Advisory Board. Neither of those specific document
sections implies anything mandatory about RAND or royalty-free or any other
of the political patent battles that divide us. They are merely open process
descriptions, just like a draft here ought to be.

/Larry