RE: Proposal to create IETF IPR Advisory Board

2009-02-19 14:45:55
Stephan Wenger wrote:
My personal view on PAGs, therefore, is that they have not delivered what
they promised.

Hi Stephan,

As always, I appreciate your response. Allow me to suggest, though, that the
examples you cited prove the success of PAGs, at least as I hoped they would
be.

Section 7 of the W3C Patent Policy was a carefully crafted compromise that
finally ended three years of acrimonious debate in the W3C Patent Policy
Working Group. It got so bad at one meeting that I, as an invited expert and
representative of the open source community, threatened to shoot a water
pistol that Danny Weitzner gave me at one of the opponents of that
royalty-free W3C policy. :-)

So when I suggest W3C's Section 7 (PAGs), along with the PSIG, as a model
for IETF, I fully expect arguments.

You described two W3C PAG situations, one in which "community pressure
inside W3C as a whole led the rightholder to change its licensing
arrangements," and another in which "a somewhat different approach was
chosen instead." In what sense isn't that success if the goal--as it is in
W3C--is to avoid patent encumbrances to its specifications? I'm delighted
that our hard-fought compromise PAG solution to patent encumbrances worked
for the W3C community as intended!

I recognize that there is no consensus in IETF to refuse patent encumbrances
entirely. But that's not the issue for an IPR Advisory Board. Such boards do
not set policy, they advise about its implications. So if an IETF IPR
Advisory Board were to say to the working group, "that's a serious patent
and it will cost money to make and use products...," then IETF can still
decide to proceed. Nothing changes with respect to policy.

That, by the way, was what the compromise in W3C Patent Policy Section 7 was
all about. At the end of the day, even W3C can elect to proceed with a
patent-encumbered standard. However, from my perspective it is fortunate
that, as a result of the PAGs, the community is likely to figure out
collectively how to work around the encumbrance given the right skills
applied to the problem!

That's really what opponents of an IPR Advisory Board fear. That's what
these same people feared when the PAGs were first proposed as a compromise
in W3C.

Best regards,

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242 * cell: 707-478-8932 * fax: 707-485-1243