Re: Running Code

2009-03-04 04:15:46
Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:
I would like to bring to your attention this proposal to put back
running code at the center of Internet protocol design by adding a
new Considerations Section in future Internet-Drafts and RFCs:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petithuguenin-running-code-considerations-00.txt

I like the idea. However, I'd put some comments:

* Acknowledgments already have their section, thus it would be preferable to use that to mention any authors and sponsors who contributed code for a specific protocol. There is no need to remove such acknowledgments upon publication.

* Obsolete code is useless. Anyone interested in knowing what code was available for version 00 can browse that version of the draft, or the historical sections at any referenced URLs.

* It may be worth mentioning development problems, implementation strategies, compatibility or integration issues, test suites, and the like. Should that section be the preferred place for discussing implementation issues, quoting code snippets while pointing to complete projects?

* IMHO, rather than being a throw-away section, Running Code Considerations should evolve into sections possibly published in the final RFCs, for two types of content: (i) mentions of established packages that implement the (final) protocol, and (ii) any guidelines and caveats for implementors.

Just my 2p