Re: Running Code

2009-03-04 11:09:52
Henry Sinnreich wrote:
 Brian,

Having running code only as a guideline has not served the IETF well
lately, since it is largely ignored.

I am still cringing during the IETF SIMPLE meetings when we use Jabber
IM that has the code free and available.

Would the SIMPLE WG have had the mandatory requirement of running code,
SIMPLE would be much further ahead.

Which remind me of this quote from A. Lyman Chapin (in [1]):

"It didn't take long to recognize the basic irony of OSI standards
development: there we were, solemnly anointing international
standards for networking, and every time we needed to send
electronic mail or exchange files, we were using the TCP/IP-based
Internet!"

[1] Malkin, G., "Who's Who in the Internet: Biographies of
    IAB, IESG and IRSG Members", RFC 1336, May 1992.

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Home: marc(_at_)petit-huguenin(_dot_)org