Re: Running Code

2009-03-04 10:12:19
Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
On 3/3/09 9:08 PM, Masataka Ohta wrote:
Andy Bierman wrote:

Since the goal of our work is to produce specifications
that will allow multiple independent implementations to
inter-operate successfully,
How can you define successful interoperation of implementations?

You gather implementation reports.
You conduct interoperability tests and bake-offs.
This used to happen a lot more, back when advancing
to Draft or Full Standard was considered important.

IMHO you define it by "running code" -- that is, code which is used to
run a functioning communications network. For me the canonical example
is the medium we're using right now: email. In general (there are always
exceptions!), you don't know or care what email clients people use, what
email servers they use, whether they retrieve their email using POP or
IMAP, etc. It just works, at least for the core use cases. And I think
that's why running code (not just compiling code or functioning code,
but a working network) is so important.

Peter

Andy