Re: Running Code

2009-03-03 21:18:22
Harald Alvestrand wrote:
Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:
I would like to bring to your attention this proposal to put back
running code at the center of Internet protocol design by adding a
new Considerations Section in future Internet-Drafts and RFCs:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-petithuguenin-running-code-considerations-00.txt

There used to be a term for those who attempted to manipulate the shape
of the universe by manipulating the names in the Usenet hierarchy.

I get the same impression from people who want to manipulate IETF
behaviour by manipulating the shape of Internet-Drafts.

I do not see how you can have this impression, as the I-D does not
try to make implementations mandatory for Internet-Drafts - _that_
would be changing the IETF behavior.  What the document says is that
early implementers efforts should be rewarded by listing their name,
sponsors and access to their code as a thank you for helping improve
the protocol.  That does not change the IETF behavior - at best that
will change the quality of IETF protocols.

--
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Home: marc(_at_)petit-huguenin(_dot_)org