Re: Comment on draft-iab-ipv6-nat-00

2009-03-21 20:12:09
Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Suppose you're operating a large international network with (to take
a random example) IPv4 1/8 as its PI prefix.

Are you assuming that an organization operating such a large network
does not operate any externally accesible servers?

I would rather assume that there are a lot of such servers distributed
worldwide and the servers are, of course, multihomed.

So, the servers have PI addresses.

As there is no reason to assign extra address block that the PI
addresses will be from 1/8.

Considering that trafic to the servers should be localized, local
PI address block with prefixes longer than 8 should be advertised
to local ISPs, BGP4 advertisement of which must be coordinated
worldwide.

life gets highly complex if you want multihoming.

That's life.

I'm sure there are people who can give a more accurate explanation
than that.

That there are poeple who are doing unreasonable things does not
rationalize their behaviour.

                                                Masataka Ohta