RE: [Ietf-honest] Subscriptions to "ietf-honest"

2009-03-23 22:29:29
Can spam has rather a lot of clauses, they are designed to criminalize certain
patterns of behaviour that are exclusively associated with abusive senders.

In particular there are tripwire offenses such as harvesting email addresses.

Given the circumstances I think it would be entirely reasonable to for each of
us to charge Mr Anderson $50 to read each message sent through his list.
Following the practice of lawyers and billing in a minimum 12 minute interval
and applying a standard commercial consulting rate of $2000/day and rounding
down. This is a considerable discount to my VeriSign consulting rate.

I am not sure that we could charge for responses unless solicited by Mr
Anderson himself.

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-honest-bounces(_at_)lists(_dot_)iadl(_dot_)org on behalf of Dean
Anderson
Sent: Mon 3/23/2009 6:57 PM
To: dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net
Cc: ietf-honest(_at_)lists(_dot_)iadl(_dot_)org; 'IETF Discussion Mailing
List'; Steven M. Bellovin
Subject: Re: [Ietf-honest] Subscriptions to "ietf-honest"

Of course, this is nonsense because CAN-SPAM applies to commercial email
(advertising), and nothing on IETF-honest is commercial email.

This frivolous claim is a discredit the people making them. One cannot
claim to be knowledgeable about commercial email and/or spam and make
this sort of obvious mistake.

                --Dean