Re: IPR/Copyright

2009-03-24 19:55:06
John, I believe you read the consensus right.  "authors obtain all of
the rights they are willing to".

Excerpts from John C Klensin on Tue, Mar 24, 2009 07:35:55PM -0400:
Hi.

I just attended the IPR ("Pre-5398 Problem") BOF and want to
share an impression and suggestion.

While one could debate details of text and procedures endlessly,
reopen old battles, etc.,  there is really only one issue at
this point, and that issue is whether the community wants to

      * try to accelerate the transition toward 5378 by
      obligating authors to make a serious attempt to get
      signoff from previous contributors or

      * treat documents that contain pre-5398 material as
      provided for in the workaround, i.e., authors obtain all
      of the rights if they are willing to do that but
      otherwise just insert the workaround text and move on.

From reading the correspondence on the list, I believe that the
community prefers the latter although the former has some strong
advocates.   I'd like to see if we can focus on those questions
to see if a conclusion can be reached about the principle before
more Internet-Drafts are written.

I note that, if the community's preference is really the second
choice, then we are finished.  The Trustees would presumably
follow the general rough consensus on this list, interpret the
existing workaround as permanent, and  we would all move on.

IMO, "finished" would be a big win -- no more I-Ds on the
subject, no need for a new or renewed WG, no more cycles of
people with better ways to spend their IETF time  going into
these efforts, etc.

Of course, YMMD.
     john