Re: Your "favorite" network faults

2009-04-10 18:09:06

In message
<E041A687-5597-4D5B-AE07-8E1CD98F3225(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu>,
Henning Schu
lzrinne writes:
As part of a research project, we are working on automated diagnostics
of network-related faults in residential, SOHO, conference/special
event, hotel and similar networks. If you have observed errors that
were hard for a lay person to diagnose, whether due to end system
problems, NATs, LAN or Internet issues, please send me a brief
description. (Also, contacts in tech support for such environments
would be most helpful, particularly if they might be willing to talk
to us.)

Henning

1.
        Hotel's implementing "transparent" DNS caching which was not
        transparent.  This breaks any iterative resolvers sitting
        behinde the "transparent" DNS cache as they are expecting
        authoritative answers and the answers from the cache are
        non-authoritative.  Iterative resolvers will become more
        common as people turn on DNSSEC validation and need a
        DNSSEC aware path and the easiest way to do that is to
        be a iterative resolver.

        While I can understand interception of DNS queries prior
        to signing on there is no justification in continuing to
        intercept the queries after signing on especially queries
        with RD=0 as the answers will not be accepted.

2.
        DHCP offers not being accepted due to the offer have a ttl of
        1.  Fault in the router.

        Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews(_at_)isc(_dot_)org