Re: [dhcwg] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-dhc-container-00

2009-04-13 13:26:24
Hi Ralph -

Yup.. we've been at this way too long.

On the matter at hand:

Both of these documents allow a bit of twiddling with what gets sent to the
ultimate end client.  The DHCP relay agent does this indirectly by signally
which branch of the network tree it exist in so the upstream DHCP server can
serve addresses (and specific configuration options) to the client from the
appropriate address pool.  The container document does it by having an
autonomous DHCP server in an RG fetch configuration options that can then be
supplied to the client.

What happens if you get a relay agent which inserts a relay agent option in the
RG to SP DHCP query and the SP responds by returning the options related to
that relay agent as well as the container related to the RG?  Specifically,
which options control if they are incompatible with each other?

What happens if the RG is implemented using the third version of section 4 and
the request passes through both the RG and the relay agent?

(In the diagrams, the relay agent is between the RG and the SP DHCP - in a
cable modem system it would be the cable modem termination system or CMTS).

As I said - not sure this is an issue, but the lack of mention of 3046 seemed
problematic.

Mike