Re: [dhcwg] [mif] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-dhc-container-00

2009-04-17 12:14:59
On 2009/4/13 Ralph Droms <rdroms(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:
For example, would a host process
information received from a Starbucks network over its 802.11
interface differently from information received a home network over the 802.11 interface?

It's even more fun than that. How do we reliably know that we are at Starbucks, and not at home? The SSID? That's not an authenticated token. Currently Windows makes security decisions based on the SSID. You could call this the best answer they could come up with for a problem with no good answers. Or you could say that it instills the user with a false sense of security. Either way, it's not something I'd be comfortable seeing in a protocol spec, so if the client is in fact to make decisions as you've suggested, we'd need a secure way of doing this. I don't know enough about WPA Enterprise to know if there's a bidirectional authentication going on there - from the UI perspective it looks like it's one-way.