Re: Extending the Dean Anderson PR-action to lists on tools.ietf.org

2009-04-17 12:49:53
"Cullen" == Cullen Jennings <fluffy(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:
    >> As these alias lists are effective within the ietf.org domain,
    >> the relevant IETF policies on spam and posting-rights actions
    >> must be considered to apply to them, as they do to ietf mailing
    >> lists in general.

I find the above statement quite questionable.
These addresses reach individuals in specific roles, not working groups.

Chairs have obligations to be responsive to questions/comments about
their WGs.  ADs have very strong obligations to be avaibale for
official communications.

While there might be some level beyond which it is necessary to take
action--for example, in order to protect operational functionality of
the ietf servers--it seems that we should be more permissive and less
willing to drop mail.

In addition, the IETF policies on spam control clearly do not apply to
closed lists.  Thes policies assume an archive that posters can check
in order to see if their postings went through.  If you are going to
apply spam policies to these aliases as if they are mailing lists,
then please point me at the public archives you set up for these
aliases so I can see if my postings make it.

Please note that I'm not commenting on whether dropping Dean from the
tools.ietf.org aliases is a good idea or not.  I think your reasoning
for why you have the authority to do so and for why it is reasonable
is completely bogus.  There may be other reasoning that is more
reasonable.

I feel quite strongly about this; let's see if we can come to some
sort of agreement and avoid an appeal.