Re: Last Call: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis (IESG Procedures for Handling of Independent and IRTF Stream Submissions) to BCP

2009-06-02 10:04:41

On 1 jun 2009, at 16:56, Jari Arkko wrote:

I do think though that additional information at the level of "This RFC describes FOO. A standardized version of FOO can be found from RFC NNNN." is useful. I think -07 version of the 3932bis is an improvement over the previous one, and should be approved.

The proposed text would allow for these sort of suggestions to be made to the Independent Series Editor (ISE, the approval body for the Independent Submissions Stream). IMHO these relational notes would be useful additions to Independent stream documents. Maybe not even as an IESG Note but as language in the abstract and/or introduction.

However, the proposed language would also allow standard templates to be added. That would IMHO be wrong.

I understand that for many people the distinction between the various streams is not always clear and that a large number of folk think that the RFC series is synonymous with Internet Standard documents, but I do not think that the IESG Note is the magic bullet to solve that.

In any case:

RFC4846 section 5 uses the word "recommend"
   If the IESG, after completing its review, identifies issues, it may
   recommend explanatory or qualifying text for the RFC Editor to
   include in the document if it is published.

That wording is chosen in such a way that the decision is with the RFC Editor, more specifically the ISE. I would try to bring 3932bis in line with that:

OLD:
The IESG may choose to add an IESG note to an Independent Submission or IRTF Stream document that explains the specific relationship, if any, to IETF work.

NEW:
The IESG may recommend [to the RFC Editor] to add an IESG note .....

The text in section 3 uses "request" which IMHO is in line with the spirit of 4846. And makes clear that the ISE could in fact push back on the recommendation or request.

--Olaf