Re: Publicizing IETF nominee lists [Fwd: Last Call: draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist (Nominating Committee Process: Open Disclosure of Willing Nominees) to BCP]

2009-06-11 14:46:58
Joe,

1) exposing the full list to the entire community invites lobbying the
nomcom

        This probably already happens to some extent, but do
        we really want to encourage this?

It's not clear this will lead to more lobbying than we have now. I think lobbying happens a lot now and is driven by the candidate him/ herself, or the many people who get the "secret" lists. I think it would be more balanced if everyone knew.

I would add that the current system gives a greater ability to comment on candidates to the leadership (IAB/IESG/WG Chairs) because they get the many of the "secret" nomcom candidate lists. The nomcom might get broader feedback if the lists are open.

Bob