Re: Publicizing IETF nominee lists [Fwd: Last Call: draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist (Nominating Committee Process: Open Disclosure of Willing Nominees) to BCP]

2009-06-11 11:40:40

I am concerned about this development for several reasons:

1) exposing the full list to the entire community invites lobbying the
nomcom

        This probably already happens to some extent, but do
        we really want to encourage this?

2) exposing the willing participation of individuals for certain
position could be a disincentive

        E.g., consider someone whose current employer won't/can't
        support the level of commitment required for a position,
        and that a new employer has agreed to hire them - either
        contingent on the position or just at some point in
        the future so that they can accept the position if appointed.

        Exposing this list could expose intentions to shift
        employers, which would be a disincentive to some.

If the Nomcom cannot make this decision without wide community input
(which I tend to agree with), then we either need open lists with open
elections or we need closed lists with closed elections. I do not see
utility in mixing the two.

Joe

Leslie Daigle wrote:

I know Spencer has brought one item of discussion from this last call to
the general IETF mailing list, but I'd like to draw attention to the
whole document, which, if passed, will make a significant change in IETF
practice:  the lists of willing nominees for IETF positions will be
published publicly.

This has been discussed on the ietf-nomcom list:

potential issues were discussed.

Leslie.