Re: Publicizing IETF nominee lists [Fwd: Last Call: draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist (Nominating Committee Process: Open Disclosure of Willing Nominees) to BCP]

2009-06-11 12:00:51

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
The deliberative process of NOMCON means that it is more likely that
consensus will be reached on the candidates that fewest people object
to rather than those that have the strongest support.

Deliberation means that weak objections are as likely to be influenced
by discussions by strong supporters. I.e., deliberation can just as
easily contributes to amplification of strong support, rather than
suppression of it.

Tuning the process is fine, but let's not be deluded into thinking it
will be any better than "flawed, but sufficient". Selectees don't need
to be (further) encouraged they've been anointed by some perfect process.

We should be considering Nomcom's primary role in making the shortlist,
i.e., in making a threshold. Frankly, the community would be better
served IMO by selecting from among the shortlist using the same (random)
process used in selecting the Nomcom.

Joe