Re: Publicizing IETF nominee lists [Fwd: Last Call: draft-dawkins-nomcom-openlist (Nominating Committee Process: Open Disclosure of Willing Nominees) to BCP]

2009-06-11 17:12:11
I was reading the Appeals court ruling in the VeriSign case last night
and Michael Froomkin's paper on the anti-trust issues affecting ICANN.
If you follow the logic of the Appeals court opinion it is highly
unlikely that ICANN can remain a private organization. Since the
administration already understands that ICANN is a liability, that
only leaves the ITU.

http://www.discourse.net/archives/2009/06/9th_cir_revives_com_antitrust_case.html

One thing that struck me as a real risk is that similar concerns that
may affect the IETF might have been ignored because of the people and
the manner in which they were raised rather than on the merits. That
does not make them any less of a liability.

The current structures pretty much ensure that these issues only get
raised by fringe elements.