Re: One Day Pass for newcomers

2009-08-21 15:31:15

--On Friday, August 21, 2009 11:57 -0400 Marshall Eubanks
<tme(_at_)americafree(_dot_)tv> wrote:

On Aug 21, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

David Harrington wrote:

If part of the purpose of the one-day pass is to let new
attendees understand how the IETF works, why don't we make
attendance in the newcomers' tutorial free - no paid
attendance required, just registration (for planning
purposes).

I think this is a good idea.

+1 from me, unless it creates so many attendees we have to
limit attendance. Those are problems we want to have...

Let me extend the suggestion a bit, although I'm happy to leave
the decision as to how many of these experiments to layer on
each other in a given meeting to the IESG and IAOC:

If someone buys a day pass --for any day of the week-- admission
to the newcomer's tutorial session, any other sessions that they
can get into on Sunday, the Sunday reception unless there are
serious sponsor constraints, and both plenaries are free.   If
our goal is to show "day" attendees how we work and integrate
them into the community, we should give them as much chance as
possible to be exposed to those sorts of activities and the
informal contacts they permit.

Note that this is almost independent of whether the newcomer's
tutorial session should be free for someone who does _not_ buy a
day pass.  I'm not certain if that was what David was suggesting
or not.  I can probably argue it either way, but I've generally
found that things work out better if people have to make at
least some investment (other than of time) rather than having
things be completely "free".  So, if someone doesn't get at
least a day pass, I'd be happier if we charged a nominal (even
if only $10 - $20) fee for registration for the tutorial than
just open the doors.

    john