Re: One Day Guest Pass

2009-08-21 11:50:47

On Aug 21, 2009, at 10:55 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:

Hi,

On 2009-8-21, at 16:01, David Harrington wrote:
Maybe we should have an RFID reader/recorder at the door to each
session, and to send bills to people based on what they actually
attend (plus a base fee).
This approach might also cut down on people using sessions
to just read email and power their computers; the terminal room might
become more popular.

I think this would be bad. I don't want to make it harder for people to attend WGs, I want to make it easier. The nice thing with a flat fee is that you can just go to a WG you don't normally attend to see what they're about.

I strongly agree with Lars on this one. I do not want the IETF to become like an Hospital in the USA, where you don't know what the actual bill is until some time after you leave.

Regards
Marshall

I do agree with what I think you intend to achieve here: creating a lower-latency interaction channel for the folks who actually came prepared to *work* at a meeting. Long distances to the mike and seats of rows make that currently very hard. Some rooms at the venue in Stockholm were particularly bad.

One half-baked proposal that a few of us discussed was to go back to the seating system we had in place a few years back, i.e., only sit in the first n rows if you have read the docs and are prepared to work. Actually, the proposal was even more radical: Put a conference table (rectangular seating) with omni mikes on it at the front of the room for those who come prepared to work, and leave "spectator seating" with the regular floor mikes for everyone who is observing. You could even set up some useful remote attendance system for the smaller conference table, which we never really figured out how to do for larger settings.

That seating change would go hand-in-hand with another proposed change, namely, elimination of 10-minute "here's what's changed from -0x to -0x+1" talks with no useful purpose. Have the WG decide before a meeting which are the top issues to work through at the meeting, each issue gets 30 minutes for discussion, i.e., you get 2-5 issues per session depending on the slot length.

I may go pitch this to some TSV chairs to see if we can experiment with this in Hiroshima...