Re: One Day Guest Pass [was Re: Important Information about IETF 76 Meeting Registration

2009-08-21 06:02:33

On Aug 19, 2009, at 4:14 PM, David Morris wrote:

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

On Aug 19, 2009, at 1:36 PM, J.D. Falk wrote:

David Morris wrote:
Great idea ... except from my memory, registration might close before the agenda is firm enough to pick a particular day to attend. Picking
the day
needs to be really close to the meeting week for this to be an effective
option.

Just my opinion, but I think we need to allow for unrestricted changes of the date of the daily pass, up until the date it is actually used. Any advanced selection of a day should be for planning purposes only (such as catering). If you pick up a pass for Tuesday on Sunday, even as late as Tuesday AM you should be able to change it to Wednesday if you need to. Likewise, if you picked Monday and you don't show up until Friday, your pass should still be
good.

I see no reason not to do this, and I suspect many newcomers (who I expect to make up a good proportion of the daily pass users) will be confused by the process and may not figure out where they need to go until the last minute. We should be friendly towards them and not try and make them feel ill-used.

Along those lines, I strongly think that any day pass payments should be fully applicable to a full registration, if people decide they want to stay for the whole meeting. We want to encourage that.

I fully agree with your expansion on my comment ... but I think that local interested participants are at least as important a consideration as newcomers. For one meeting in the heat of the original HTTP work, I made two one day trips from SFBay to LA rather than spending the week in LA.
For the recent SF meeting, I was unemployed and couldn't justify the
full meeting fee for 1 meeting day and didn't attend. YMMV.

I certainly wasn't trying to imply that we can or should be unpleasant to regular attendees ! And, certainly, local attendees are also important. For all of these cohorts, I think we should be as flexible as
reasonably possible.

Regards
Marshall

+1