Re: One Day Guest Pass [was Re: Important Information about IETF 76 Meeting Registration

2009-08-19 16:30:37

--On Wednesday, August 19, 2009 14:12 -0400 Marshall Eubanks
<tme(_at_)americafree(_dot_)tv> wrote:

Just my opinion, but I think we need to allow for unrestricted
changes of the date of the daily pass, up until the date it is
actually used. Any advanced selection of a day should be for
planning purposes only (such as catering). If you pick up a
pass for Tuesday on Sunday, even as late as Tuesday AM you
should be able to change it to Wednesday if you need to.
Likewise, if you picked Monday and you don't show up until
Friday, your pass should still be good.

Along those lines, I strongly think that any day pass payments
should be fully applicable to a
full registration, if people decide they want to stay for the
whole meeting. We want to encourage that.

Marshall, I generally agree, but your suggestions raise other
issues that need sorting out.   I would have hoped that they
would have been sorted out before the original announcement...
perhaps they have been and the announcement is just incomplete.

For example, we have a rather steep late registration fee and a
nasty policy if one cancels less than a week before the meeting.
I presume there are good reasons for both (other than inflicting
pain on registrants) or we wouldn't be doing it, but I don't
think either the reasoning nor the amount have been explained to
the community since the registration process became automated.
I do note that the early registration cutoff is now only a bit
over a week before the meeting starts, which is clearly an
improvement.

However, suppose a "day pass" costs only $200.  I presume, but
Alexa's note didn't say, that number is independent of whether I
register for one a few weeks in advance or at the meeting.  If I
won't know if I can attend the meeting, what are the tradeoffs
between my buying a day pass and then upgrading on site if
needed and registering and paying early and risking incurring
the late cancellation penalty?  On the other hand, if the same
late registration fee is to be imposed on "day passes", they
become a lot less useful and we are back to encouraging people
who want to attend only one or two WG sessions to just sneak in.

I assume that the IAOC has signed off on the day pass plan and
that all of these sorts of issues have been thought out.  Care
to share the details and reasoning?  I note without comment that
I can find no evidence of a discussion on this subject in any
recent posted IAOC minutes.

    john