Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

2009-08-31 19:43:19
Joel,

I agree that IESG notes should be rare, but primarily because independent stream submissions should be rare :-).

Long ago, when I served on the IAB, we grappled with this problem, and failed to find a good solution. Despite what we say about RFC status and origin markings, the public sees RFCs as carrying the imprimatur of the IETF (not just that of the RFC Editor). When Jon Postel was the RFC editor, we were pretty comfortable with his judgement on these matters, this was less of an issue. However, time have changed and I would be happy to see inclusion of an IESG note be mandatory, contrary to historical practice.

Steve