Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

2009-08-31 22:04:27
Making the IESG note mandatory, even if that required IETF agreement, would essentially give the IETf veto over the Independent stream. The IESG would simply propose a note so extreme that no author would accept it on their document. Given that I have seen proposed notes almost that bad in the past, I see no reason to believe it will not happen in the future.

Unless we wish to gut the Independent Stream of its right and important role of providing critical review of ongoing ideas, I would strongly recommend that the IAB not accept any procedure by which this would occur.

Remember, the IETF did not create the Independent Stream. It arguably predates the existence of standards track documents.

Yours,
Joel