Re: [IAB] Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-22 20:04:47
You said:

"Because in the free world, defaming the government, disrespecting a
 culture, discussing human rights, and discussing religion might be
 rude, or they might be the subjects of perfectly appropriate academic
 discussions, but they are not illegal."

I agree, but I think you are arguing that such discussions are a
normal and required part of our technical work in semi-public fora and
I think that's stretching the meaning of the terms you list.

Which is why I think we've been invited with the blessing of the
government, and why I think THEY (for all values of they) assume we
will conduct "business as usual." Otherwise there would not be much
point in proposing that venue/country.

I can imagine a few "cultural adjustments" such as taking off your
shoes before entering certain buildings and so on, but I am not
expecting a radically changed IETF meeting agenda.

The most recent meeting I attended in China featured some very
interesting presentations on the history and current deployment of
Internet technologies in China, particularly with respect to IPv6
and with respect to the mobile Internet. I hope we can invite
some of these speakers to our meeting if we make it to China.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj