Re: [IAB] Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-22 16:16:38
On Tue Sep 22 19:52:34 2009, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
(I suppose that other SDOs and conference organizers have tried to work around this restriction in various ways, but it seems irresponsible to do so by ignoring the restriction altogether and letting presenters say
anything they want, given the organizational liability that is
stipulated in the restriction. The IETF could claim that what presenters say at WG sessions, plenaries, and the like is outside the control of
the IETF, but I think that is skating on rather thin ice.)

Having attended only XSF and OMA aside from IETF, I'm not sure whether the IETF and XSF are essentially unique is trying to provide remote participation, either - the OMA certainly doesn't.

I reiterate - if I wished to grind my political axe against the PRC, I would do so via the Jabber chatrooms. IETF meetings increasingly rely on these, and should they be deliberately used to raise issues with which the PRC would be uncomfortable, I see very little in the way of mitigation or remedy which I would, in turn, be comfortable with.

The physical meeting I'm fine with in China. I'm pretty sure the bizarre - to Western eyes - rules and regulations can be dealt with in such a way that actual impact to the IETF meeting is minimized, and the benefits of the location - Chinese engineering knowledge, etc - would outweigh the disadvantages.

But I'm concerned that only a couple of us have raised the potential impact on remote participation - can I ask what steps are being taken to minimize impact there?

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net -
xmpp:dwd(_at_)dave(_dot_)cridland(_dot_)net