RE: The IETF and the SmartGrid

2009-10-05 18:06:33
It will certainly get their attention ... :-)

 -----Original Message-----
 From: Michael Dillon [mailto:wavetossed(_at_)googlemail(_dot_)com]
 Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 5:54 PM
 To: Richard Shockey
 Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
 Subject: Re: The IETF and the SmartGrid

 > Myself and others are deeply concerned by how this effort is
 developing.
 > There is no current consensus on what the communications
 architecture of the
 > SmartGrid is or how IP actually fits into it.
 >
 > The Utility Industry does not understand the current IPv4 number
 exhaust
 > problem and the consequences of that if they want to put a IP
 address on
 > every Utility Meter in North America.
 >
 > What is equally troubling is that many of the underlying protocols
 that
 > utilities wish to deploy are not engineered for IPv6. We have an
 example of
 > that in a recent ID.

 I've asked the ARIN Public Policy mailing list how people would feel
 about
 banning the Electric Utility industry (and sub contractors) from
 receiving
 any IPv4 addresses for use on the Smart Grid. This would include
 direct
 ARIN allocations and assignment from ISPs.

 I think that you are right to raise this issue in discussion since we
 badly
 need to shine a light on the details of transitioning the Internet to
 IPv6.

 --Michael Dillon